DescriptionThis interview consists of two audio recordings and transcripts. Max Anderson was interviewed on 16 June 2006 by Shirley Kingsford McLeod. Interview SummaryMax was born in Werris Creek and came to Sydney at the age of two. His father was a police officer who moved between different stations across western Sydney.
Max went to Auburn Public School followed by Bankstown Public School. He then went to Parramatta Boys Intermediate High School. Max wanted to learn a trade, so he went to Westmead Tech to learn general trades (carpentry, metalwork). His father pressured him into joining the police cadets. At the same time Max applied for an apprenticeship with Babcock and Wilson. After he gained the apprenticeship, Max quit the cadets and spent five years working at Cockatoo Island and Garden Island.
Max joined the Police Force in 1945. He went to Redfern Academy and was posted to Burwood, Ashfield, Concord, Granville and Parramatta Police Stations.
Max transferred to the new Smithfield Police Station. Smithfield Station was a call box consisting of two portable cells, one of which was used as an office. Each cell measured 10 by 8 feet. Max did not have a car; only a motorbike.
The most common crimes in the Smithfield area were assaults, especially those associated with drunkenness. Max had few problems with the European migrants in the area.
In 1960, Max was promoted to sergeant and transferred to Liverpool Police station.
Max remembers Smithfield in the 1950s as a semi-rural town where everyone knew everybody. Local businesses included tanneries and slaughterhouses.
Max had little interest in sport, but was involved in bowls and a Rugby League. He is a member of Guildford Leagues Club and Fairfield RSL. He was also involved in the local fire brigade.
Smithfield gained its first mounted constable in 1874. They patrolled Smithfield and Fairfield.
After WWII the Smithfield station closed and Fairfield station covered the area and was assigned it's first officer in 1903. the station was moved from Ware Street to Hamilton Street in 1919. in 1948 it was again moved to Smart Street and officially opened in 1953.
Max Anderson Oral History. Fairfield City Heritage Collection, accessed 20/03/2026, https://heritagecollection.fairfieldcity.nsw.gov.au/nodes/view/2618